Friday, September 16, 2016

Life in HRP

HRP was lonely. Because of the preterm labor, I was only allowed to get up and walk around my room, use the bathroom, and take showers. I had never spent a night away from Ruby before. There were many tears from both of us. The other night I was tucking her into bed here at home and she said, "Mom remember when you were gone and I snuggled your exercise shirt because I missed you?" My heart just hurt when I heard that. If any of you have seen Daniel Tiger on PBS (most likely moms here) every time Ruby would leave my room she would walk down the hallway backwards and sing to me, "Grownups come back!" We also tried to Skype every night at bedtime. We would sing bedtime songs and have prayer. Thank goodness for technology! Eric is an amazing husband and tried to be both mom and dad while I was gone. We had so many people step in to help our family. Friends and family watched Ruby while Eric was at work, set up play dates, brought her to see me, brought meals, and even came to visit me.

It was really hard to let things go while in the hospital. I would often call Eric and ask what they ate for dinner, what time Ruby went to bed, and if things were being taken care of at home (like laundry, grocery shopping, bills being paid etc.). I tried to keep myself busy...as much as you can in the hospital room. I colored, binged watched some shows, walked around my room, talked on the phone a lot, showered, and watched the helicopter land outside my window. HA! SO busy..........

I always looked forward to seeing Eric and Ruby. Although it was very hard to keep a 3 year old entertained at the hospital. We tried playing games, snuggling and watching movies. The nurses loved Ruby and would always gave her popsicles, and would take her for walks to visit the other nurses. Some days both Eric and Ruby just needed a break from the hospital though. It was a 40 min drive or so. And it was just a lot emotionally and physically (especially if Eric had to work). I totally understood, but those days were tough for me.

Before Christmas, I had posted on a community FB site asking for ideas to make Christmas special for Ruby while I was in the hospital. I was not expecting the wonderful things that followed. A lady named Micha messaged me and asked if she could bring our family dinner Christmas Eve. She had spent time on HRP and also had given birth to a preemie. I was so touched. She not only brought dinner, but she brought us preemie clothes for the babies, and slippers for me. Another woman brought us Christmas decor for my room, cookies to decorate for Santa, presents for Ruby, and lots of snacks. These women made me realize that I need to be more aware of other's needs and to be more giving. I will never forget their kindness. It truly was a Christmas our family will never forget!

1 comment:

  1. Uh... all the feels!! I'm so glad you had so many angels around you ❤

    ReplyDelete