Friday, September 16, 2016

Delivery Day!

January 12th, I told my Dad that the next day we were going to have babies and win the lotto! I was just joking of course. But January 13th had a lot of significance in our family both good and bad. It was the day my Grandpa had passed away, the day my Dad had a heart attack, and the day my dad had his life saving kidney transplant. So I thought it would be a good day to have the babies and win the lotto. My doctor came in after a non stress test to review the results. The last few days, the NST's had gotten longer and longer because both Ellie and Nora were having more frequent decels in their heart rates. My contractions were also getting more frequent even with the medication every 4 hours. The doctor said, "How about having those babies today?" I called Eric at work and told him to head to the hospital. They sent me down to labor and delivery to be monitored. The decels were happening a little more. My doctor said he was giving them 15 mins and if things didn't look any better then it was baby time. He said he would wait for Eric to get there before he cut me open.

Eric arrived and the doctor said it was time to go.

I was so nervous for the c-section. For those that don't know, I have pretty high anxiety and I had been worrying about this for weeks. Not only the procedure, but how my babies would be. I watched videos of c-sections on youtube....I know. My doctor laughed at me! I walked over to the delivery room and they got me ready. I looked around the room. It was overwhelming. I couldn't believe this was happening so fast. There were so many people. One team for each baby, and one for me, plus some med students. Lots of conversations going. I was very relieved when Eric was allowed in. He talked with me and kept me occupied. I didn't even realize they had begun. After what seemed like forever, I remember hearing them suctioning ( I knew from the youtube videos that they were sucking out the fluids) and it wouldn't be much longer before I met miss Nora. They said she was almost here and I felt the tugging and here she was. My little girl that I had worked so hard for her safe arrival! She made little noises. I couldn't really call it crying. They brought her near my head and I kissed her. They took her off to the side and began working on her. I couldn't see everything they were doing and I just kept asking Eric if she was okay. He reassured me that she was. They were now working on getting Ellie out. It took a little longer and I was more nervous for her because of all the complications. When she was born, she made less noise then Nora did and I just kept asking if she was okay. I did get to give her a kiss as well before they started working on her. I just remembered feeling so relieved but still knew we had the next challenge of the NICU.

Once the girls were stable, they had Eric go with them to the NICU. I was getting put back together and started to feel some pain. They kept giving me pain med but it was getting worse. I was just about to ask if they could knock me out and then it was over.

2 comments:

  1. Brings tears to my eyes! Look at them now! ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Crazy! I would have had anxiety as well! I still had anxiety and my pregnancy was normal (other than HG). That brought tears to my eyes! So grateful they are here safe and sound. And that they are doing so well!!

    ReplyDelete